ST. LOUIS, June 27, 2016 – ASHRAE has installed new officers and directors for 2016-17 at its Annual Meeting held here June 25-29.
The new president is Timothy G. Wentz, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, HBDP, associate professor, University of Nebraska – Lincoln. As ASHRAE’s president, Wentz chairs the Society’s Board of Directors and Executive Committee. His theme, Adapt Today to Shape Tomorrow, is based on the goal in the Society’s Strategic Plan to adapt. Wentz relates this goal to his personal history of moving from a slide rule in his early college days to a hand calculator and now a computer or smartphone as an example of the challenges and opportunities inherent in adapting to new technology.
“All of us have had to come face-to-face with the challenges of adaptation,” he said. “It’s in the power of adapting that lives, organizations, and communities, are transformed. Our ability to shape tomorrow is borne out of our willingness to adapt today. Together, we can create our future by adapting our resources, investments and technology to shape a more sustainable world.”
Other officers installed for a one-year term are:
- President-Elect: Bjarne W. Olesen, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, professor, Technical University of Denmark, Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
- Treasurer: Sheila J. Hayter, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, group manager, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo.
- Vice President: Walid Chakroun, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, College of Engineering and Petroleum, Kuwait University
- Vice President: Patricia Graef, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, senior engineer, evaporative media core technology, research and development, Munters Corp., Fort Myers, Fla.
- Vice President: Ginger Scoggins, P.E., president, Engineered Designs, Raleigh, N.C.
- Vice President: Edward Tsui, managing director, Intelligent Technologies Ltd., Hong Kong.
ASHRAE installed the following directors to serve three-year terms from 2016-19.
- Region IV Director and Regional Chair: George W. “Billy” Austin Jr., P.E., BEAP, BEMP, CPMP, HBDP, HFDP, OPMP, principal, Shultz Engineering Group, Charlotte, N.C.
- Region V Director and Regional Chair: Douglas David Fick, P.E., vice president, TRC Worldwide MEP, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Region VI Director and Regional Chair: Benjamin A. Skelton, P.E., BEMP, president, Cyclone Energy Group, Chicago, Ill.
- Region XII Director and Regional Chair: Daniel R. Rogers, P.E., president, Flow Control Technology Co., Tampa, Fla.
- Region XIII Director and Regional Chair: Ir. Ng Yong Kong, NYK Engineering and Trading, and executive director, Bezaire Sdn. Bhd., Subang Jaya, Malaysia
- Director-at-Large: Essam Eldin Khalil, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, professor of mechanical engineering, Cairo University
- Director-at-Large: Thomas “Tom” M. Lawrence, Ph.D., P.E., Mechanical Engineering Program coordinator, professor, College of Engineering, University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.
- Director-at-Large: Lawrence C. Markel, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, senior program director, CSRA, Inc., Knoxville, Tenn.
ASHRAE, founded in 1894, is a global society advancing human well-being through sustainable technology for the built environment. The Society and its more than 55,000 members worldwide focus on building systems, energy efficiency, indoor air quality, refrigeration and sustainability. Through research, standards writing, publishing, certification and continuing education, ASHRAE shapes tomorrow’s built environment today.